Subject: Re: Dirty Quotas? (was: Re: Dirty file system?)
To: None <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1995 20:03:32
   One further thought on shortening boot-time: can't such a clean-flag be applied
   to the quotas-file, too? Checking quotas is the other annoying thing while
   booting that takes up ages...

   (quick thought on implementation: before mounting a filesystem, set
   quota_dirty_flag:=fs_dirty_flag. Then mount & do fsck if fs_dirty_flag. Then
   quotacheck or someone should do it's work if and only if quota_dirty_flag is
   true.)

quotacheck(8) really ought to run before file systems are mounted
read-write, or the data can never be guaranteed to be consistent.

That said, bypassing it on `clean' file systems is a good idea.

   How do other people think on this? Mainly the ones using quotas with NetBSD ;)

I run quotas on one of my machines just to be sure they work.