Subject: Re: Questions about features of NetBSD
To: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
From: Aleksi Suhonen <ams@lenkkari.cs.tut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1995 06:47:48
In message 9740.798241147@austin  Tobias Weingartner told

}-> Actually, somebody is going to shoot me with high-powered artillery
}-> for this, but Windows NT does a great job with ACLs also.

[Try to imagine the sound emited by a speedily by whistling rocket
 from a piece of high-powered artillery and place it here ->...<- ]

}-Well, I just took a look at the linux ext2fs system, and got fairly simple
}-way to change ufs_access() to support ACLs for some filesystems.  By using
}-2 reserved inodes, you could implement the following:

}- {explanation removed}

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but I still think the method
you suggested is somewhat cumbersome and I generally don't like that
information regarding the structure of a filesystem is to be kept in
a file *within* that filesystem ... I feel it should be part of  the
filesystem structure. Then again your version is as you mentioned a lot
easier to implement ... (BUT ... while you're at it, why not just have
ACL-files in all the directories that happen to have special settings?
that way you could also add directory default settings in there with
ease.) I guess buffing up the inode-structure would be the logical way?
How about storing all this information inside directory-structures?

--
	Aleksi Suhonen