Subject: Re: Ethernet Card preformace for firewall
To: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/1995 11:06:02
>The fastest cards I've been using for NetBSd so far is the WD8013 cards,
>but since these are ISA cards I was wondering if PCI cards won't handle
>the bandwidth better. I remember reading somewhere some data on ethernet
>cards and bus bandwidth and ISA used 46% per card and EISA 15% - since
>EISA ethernet is not supported PCI comes to mind.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think 3com makes both EISA and PCI
cards that work under current (3c579 and 3c589 or something like
that?).  Theo and Herb were working on this at one point, if I'm not
mistaken.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4, PC532,
                           DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), DEC/AXP (Alpha)
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX and others...