Subject: Re: Boot from CD-ROM
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1995 14:42:06
On Apr 14, 19:27, Ty Sarna wrote:
> I don't believe this is correct.  CD0 will not show up on the ROM

 I wasn't speaking of the ROM! I talked about 'loadbsd -b' where you
can enter the desired root-fs.

> be possible to do this and still have a fully standard ISO CD.  With
> some ingenuity, you could probably put the RDBs inside a file in the ISO
> filesystem that started on a block boundary within the first
> RDB_LOCATION_LIMIT blocks.  Still, I think this is overkill).

 Actually someone lese is trying to do so, some researches yet to be done
though.

> I don't this booting from CD-ROM is at all important. Being able to
> load the kernel from, and have root filesystems on the CD is, but I
> don't see that booting direct from CD (ie, without a trip through
> AmigaOS) is important, especially since we can't boot direct from HD
> either yet. Also, for some purposes you REALLY want to make sure that

 This way is the way I want. Finally someone got me :-)
I believe for first start a CD-ROM can be very usefull. Test all what
you want before installing to HD. The missing swap and /tmp is another
topic of course. See, why struggling with a boot-floppy if you have a
CD-ROM handy?

> the trip through AmigaOS is modifiable (ie on floppy or HD) to ensure
> that, for example, non-autoconfiged memory is entered into the system
> memory list. If I were a potential customer, I would want to boot my
> system normally and then install, rather than having to boot off the CD
> directly, since that would give me more control.

 Maybe I have been inprecise. I always thought that 'booting netbsd' on
an Amiga assumed usage of loadbsd and hence the theoretical possibility
of booting from CD-ROM. A nifty AmigaDOS Tools could start a specific
kernel after sneeking around the system (ie. automatically boot with AGA
support).

--
Markus Illenseer