Subject: Re: Boot from CD-ROM
To: David Maxwell <david@spinne.web.net>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1995 15:53:16
On Apr 13, 13:25, David Maxwell wrote:
> This depends on the architechture also. While some of the newer *nix boxes
> will check for a CD-Rom and attempt to boot from it, and while some of the
> non-*nix boxes (Amiga comes to mind) can be told to, some just won't.

 Exactly thats what I want. Specifically the Amiga can be told to boot from
cd0 (instead of fd0 or sd0, or whereever). The problem is *what* is beeing
expected there. Sneaking in sources I figured out that UFS is expected, as
I prefer not to provide specific but generic kernels, I thought it would be more
easy to 'hack' the CD-ROM-image.

> I've never seen an i386 type box booted off a CD, not to say that it can't
> be done, just that the way CD-Rom drives are installed on Intel boxes
> doesn't lend itself to this sort of thing.

 How do you start NetBSD on i386? With a Bootmanager or with a tool started
under, say MS-Dog?

> I think that for some of the ports you may be better off supplying a 'native'
> filesystem that can be installed from, rather than trying to be bootable for
> everyone.

 Hell, my CD is (almost) for Amiga-only :-) All I want to do is to be able to
boot from CD. This cant be done because obviously the kernel seeks for UFS and
most probably doesnt even want UFS which uses 2048Bytes blocks than standard
512.

--
Markus Illenseer