Subject: Re: Questions about features of NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1995 23:03:12
Hi der,

> [referring to machines reading "alien" disk packs]
> >> Extremely unlikely to happen, because it is bound to break
> > Absolutely un-true.  With your example of the sparc, simply translate
> > the in-core BSD disklabel into a SunOS disklabel and write it.  The
> > reverse already happens at read time.
>
> The point was not that you couldn't write SunOS disklabels.  The point
> is that a SunOS disklabel occupies the same space that other vendor-OS
> disklabels do, and thus a pack could not simultaneously have (say) a
> valid SunOS label _and_ a valid DOS partition table.

AFAIK, no.

SunOS disklabels are at offset 16, I think.

MSDOS disklabels are at offset 0.

AmigaOS disklabels are a complex structure build of labeled and
checksummed blocks for several functions, whose first (RDSK) must be
found among the first 16 (I think) and the others (most important for us
is PART, the partition entry) form kind of chained links, with the first
pointed at by the RDSK block.

DEC disklabels are at still another fixed location I think. At least I
heard s.b. mention that it is possible to build a MO disk with labels
for SunOS and Ultrix. But maybe they are at 0, too.

So it isn't THAT bad. I'm just too lazy to do the job myself.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis
	Ignatios Souvatzis