Subject: -current memory leaks?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1995 16:34:30
Our -current system (about a week or two out of date, I guess, but
similar.) is exhibiting memory leakage; it runs out of memory and
panics after about 4 days.  We have 3-4 users average, 8-9 peak.
We have 8 megs of "real" memory and about 35 of swap.  As time goes
on, the swap space used goes from about 20% (fresh boot) to 50% or
so (a day or two) to 90% (3-4 days) and then crashes at 100%.  This
repeats.  We are using slip, but not PPP.

Are there any known memory leaks like this?  At the end of the several
days, there are no big processes; the total of process vm reported by
PS may be as high as 12 megs or so; the total reported by vmstat or
pstat -s will be in the 30's or 40's.

The only abnormality I know of is that named is chomping around 50% of
available CPU time for no clear reason; I'm not sure what it's refreshing,
but it seems to spend a *lot* of time doing it.

-s