Subject: Re: Questions about features of NetBSD
To: Marc Boschma <marcb@bms.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Mike Andrews <mandrews@echoes.wittenberg.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1995 09:08:58
On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Marc Boschma wrote:

> >NeXT has this feature, and they are already "quad fat". The same physical
> >binaries now run on original NeXT hardware (motorola), 486+ machines,
> >HP pa-risc machines, and SUN sparc machines. The main motivation is less
>
> Do their compiler suites support producing the "quad fat" file in one
> compulation ?

Yep....  "gcc -arch m68k -arch i386 -arch hppa" compiles a tri-fat binary.
It makes multiple passes across the file, so you get to see compiler
warnings once per architecture...  :)

You can also strip out unwanted architectures in a binary later on (i.e.
I only need i386 and m68k binaries instead of quad-fat), using /bin/lipo.
There's some other ones floating around the net though, with source.

I believe they have some kind of hack to get rid of the endian problems
too (like swapping bytes on the fly?) but don't quote me on it, because I
don't really know about it...

-- Mike Andrews  *  mandrews@wittenberg.edu  *  mandrews@fragile.termfrost.org
- Wittenberg University, Springfield OH  *  http://www.termfrost.org/~mandrews
Geek code: GCS/MU d H+ s !g p? au-- a22 w+(--) v C+++ UX++++ V++ P+ L+ 3+ N+++
 K++ W-- M- po---@ Y+@ t- !5 j R- G' !tv b@ D++@ B--- e+ u+ h f- r-@ n---- y*@