Subject: Re: Questions about features of NetBSD
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1995 17:41:53
On Mon, 10 Apr 1995 20:27:35 -0400
 Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU> wrote:

 > some would say that you shouldn't slow down the 'default' FFS at all
 > to do this.  i.e. clone the current ffs into a different mount-type,
 > e.g. "bufs" (for backwards ufs...  8-), and do it there.

`sfu' :-)

 > While compatibility is nice, it's not clear that you want to slow down
 > your 'default case' significantly to get it.

Yeah...checking a flag before every operation would be yucky.  Perhaps,
however, you could mount it as `ufs' and if it detects the need to
byte-swap, it `automagically' changes the mount to the other type...for
transparency's sake...(shows up in mount list as other type...)

I dunno -- just throwing around ideas...

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939