Subject: Blank X-windows screen
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hagen Finley <hagen@violet.berkeley.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1995 08:32:26
        I was attempting to configure routing on my BSDi machine and
affected some file which affects the output to the console on X. The OS
works fine, and X actually starts - I can type commands into the void and
things happen (e.g. reboot, xset q > qresults) however, there is no front end.
        There are two possible causes. First, I have been experimenting with
wish and I ran accross ixset in /usr/contrib/lib/tk/demos/ which is just a
wish front end to xset. I changed the screen saver function to the X icon
pattern, which seemed to work fine.
        Second, on page 142 of O'Reilly's TCP/IP book it suggests I edit the
/etc/rc.local to add static routing with lines like

route -n add default 128.66.12.1 1 > /dev/console

        It was following some experimenting in the rc.local file that first,
the screen came up but the mouse was inactive, and second, upon a reboot ,
the screen came up dark grey. I renamed my backup of rc.local so that file
is back to its original form, but this did not address the problem.
        I did a ./MAKEDEV on /dev/console and that worked (no error
response). I also tried that for tty00 and got a file exists response,
however, the tty00 says that it is not configured.
        Finally, I ran accross a xinit.log file which apparently was
gernerated when the mouse problem first occured and it reported "Cannot open
mouse: device not configured." failure of core devices.
        Its probably apparent that my competence in BSDi falls well short of
that exhibited by many members of this group, so I hope problem will not
appear tedious. I certainly will appreciate any advice that I receive. Thanks.
Hagen Finley
Berkeley, CA