Subject: Re: printer
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1995 18:37:08
On Apr 7,  1:28pm, "Tom T. Thai" wrote:
} On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Tom W. Cutter wrote:
}
} > Tom,
} > Are you using the serial, parallel, or network interface?
}
} parallel.  HPLJ4mp.  Got lpfilter from "Simon J. Gerraty"
} <sjg@zen.void.oz.au> and it works for text files.  Thanks Simon.  But now
} I would like to print from NetScape or others with bitmap files.  Didn't
} work.

If lpfilter blindly does LF to CRLF mapping, I'm pretty sure it will break
PCL bitmap graphics.

My favorite minimalist printcap entry for printing text and PCL to a PCL
printer (more or less from memory) sets the following:
	ff=\EE\E&k2G
	tr=\EE

The ff sequence resets the printer and sets the end of line termination
so that the printer maps LF to CR+LF.  You might also want to tweak the
margins and line spacing so that you can print 66 lines/page.  The tr
sequence is just a printer reset, which has the side effect of causing
the printer to flush the last partial page (if any).  If you sent a FF
instead, you could end up printing an extra blank page.

			---  Truck