Subject: Re: More WordPerfect 6.0 problems / FIFOs
To: mark thompson <thompson@coyote.csusm.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1995 15:54:09
> At 2:06 PM 4/2/95, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> > The reason it fails is that it tries to open the FIFO with
> >O_RDWR (which doesn't make sense), apparently expecting it to be
> >equivalent to opening it with O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY but leaving the FIFO
> >in blocking mode, and instead gets EINVAL.
> While we are on this... The other unix machines I have worked with
> do allow FIFOs to be opened RDWR. It is inconvenient that NetBSD doesn't.

Oh oh oh oh.  That's triggering an ancient memory.  Does anyone have a recent
SVID handy?  I *think* they require that very behavior (O_RDWR opens a named
pipe without blocking because, well, it's got a reader and a writer).  I seem
to recall having to actually crock this into my named-pipe implementation under
UNOS...  (But this was many years ago, so I could be completely mistaken.)
Did POSIX adopt (or allow) this behavior?

(I've moved this from port-i386 to current-users since it's not a 386 issue.)