Subject: Re: SLIP activity?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1995 06:19:00
While really really bored, Peter Seebach wrote:
> Is there any way to tell if a SLIP interface has been hung up on?  We seem
> to sometimes not notice dropped carriers.  Unfortunately, some of the

I've been having this problem, too.  In fact, when I installed a signal handler
into slip_attach (a re-written slattach), it works fine -- until the line
gets hung up (disconnected).  At that point, the signal handler fails to run
when I send any of the caught signals.  In fact, anything that has the tty line
open will not catch signals properly.  Anyone know what is up?

It's been driving me crazy! (so much that I put the slip redialer on the back
burner).  I'm no driver weenie (does that make me a driver-weenie-wannabe?),
but I could learn if I knew where to look.

Also, once the line gets hung up, nothing can write to the line until
everything closes it and it gets reopened.

Could this be related to the fact that my DTR doesn't get cleared properly?
--
VaX#n8 (vak-sa-nate) - n, CS senior++ and Unix junkie - vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Deal with evil through strength, yet encourage good through trust.    - PGP me