Subject: NetBSD-current on Sun 4m's
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1995 13:30:12
How solid is the code for the Sun4m?  I'd like to test it out at work
but I need to know if it can standup to the abuse we inflict on the
machines there.

A big concern is that the machine I have in mind does the backups for
the lab on a Exabyte 8200.

Another is the numerous NFS drives that it mounts.  About 20 I think.

A huge concern is NIS and password security.  ISS and a prelim release
of Satan couldn't get in.  Is portmap broken?  I probably wouldn't put
it in the group right away but I'd like some advice beforehand just
for good measure.

Is installation easy?  I have the Walnut Creek BSD ROM from 11/94 which
is what I'd probably use to install with initially then update to the
-current as soon as it was stable.  I'll have to dload docs on this one.
Suggested readings aside from the normal NetBSD install docs?

Finally, hows the support for SunOS 4.1.3_U1 binaries look?  Does it
include openwindows, xview 2 (I think), or X11R5?

--
Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg
SAIC UNIX/Netware Computer Type Guy       "Walk softly and carry an armored