Subject: SATAN is coming April 5th. Have you read about it?
To: None <wastelanders@undernet.org, routing-com@undernet.org,>
From: Scott Anderson <skip@rush.cc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1995 19:41:26
Satan stands for Security Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks.
Unlike tcpdump or any other snooper, this one works on WANS, like the
internet itself.  It scans hosts, domains, and all hosts on domains and/or
subdomains.  It is setup from source (freeware, available april 5th) and
uses perl, and C and requires a web browser tool.  For example, if it
sees that a machine has less than sendmail 8.6.10, it will tell you, and
tell you how to exploit the hole.  Its great for administrators and hackers
alike.  Even worse, 95% of the program works without su privs.  :/  This
has been a friendly reminder to those that don't read Information week or
another 'open systems' publication.  My only question at this point is
will it take more than 10 minutes for me to get and compile or less on
the 5th?

Scott Anderson