Subject: Re: telnetd vs. NCSA telnet 2.6
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1995 11:31:23
On Thu, 30 Mar 1995, Greg Earle wrote:

> Curiously, I don't get the automatic "login:" prompt; I have to hit a single
> <Return> to get it.

I've noticed this as well and chalked it up to goofy negotiations by the
app (for a more pronounced problem, try the PC Telnet 2.3.08).

> Other than possibly enabling "Berkeley 4.3 CR mode" in the Preferences, is
> there anything else I should be doing?  (And what does that "CR mode" do,
> anyway?)

If I understand it, the "4.3 CR mode" is needed to make certain apps,
like Kermit and Pine, take the "enter" key (on PC) or "return" key (on
Mac) as a literal CR.  Otherwise it's a LF, which can be disastrous if ^J
means something different than ^M to your software.

Then again, maybe not.  I enabled it on the Mac because I had some vague
recollection of that option solving my problem with Kermit 5A(190) on a
Mac long ago.

--scott