Subject: warning on problems with ati mach-64 (card has noise problems)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, freebsd-users@freebsd.org, bsd-users@bsdi.com>
From: Ron Minnich <rminnich@tres.sarnoff.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1995 09:24:10
we have two machines here with ati mach-64 cards. We have noticed that in
1024x768 mode there is a fine pattern of lines on the display that looks
like a high-frequency clock making its way out to the analog rgb lines.
We're not sure if it's shielding or poor card design, but a matrox card
set to the same settings does not show the problem; the problem follows
the mach-64 cards around to other machines/monitors. The pattern is
visible enough to be annoying; we're sending the cards back and replacing
them with matrox.

We did notice that the matrox has a nice embedded ground plane, and the
ati is yer basic cheapo two-sided card. I have no idea if this is a
factor.

ron

Ron Minnich                |It's kind of interesting that the company that
rminnich@earth.sarnoff.com |sells QuickMail for the MAC doesn't have an EMAIL
(609)-734-3120             |address. But I know why, having used it ...