Subject: telnetd vs. NCSA telnet 2.6
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1995 03:06:44
When I telnet to a NetBSD 1.0 system from my home Mac via NCSA Telnet 2.6, I
get the initial banner message:

	NetBSD/i386 (ias-pc) (ttyp1)

And here it sits.

Curiously, I don't get the automatic "login:" prompt; I have to hit a single
<Return> to get it.  Not that it's any big deal, but it made me curious as
to why.  Especially since NCSA Telnet 2.6 seems to be a "modern" Telnet
client; i.e., it doesn't suffer from the "stairstepping" drain-bamage of
other old telnets like the SunOS 4.1.x version.

Other than possibly enabling "Berkeley 4.3 CR mode" in the Preferences, is
there anything else I should be doing?  (And what does that "CR mode" do,
anyway?)

	- Greg