Subject: Re: Xterms
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, mike.long@analog.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1995 14:05:03
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com> wrote:
> My xterms are acting strangely.  When they start up, backspacing over
> characters removes them in csh's line buffer, but not on the screen.
> Also, using ESC to complete filenames backspaces too far, again only
> on the screen.  Using 'reset -Q' to reset the xterm fixes both
> problems.  My erase char is ^H; if I use ^? instead, I can't backspace
> on the screen at all.
>
> I am running the NetBSD-1.0/i386 version of XFree86 3.1.1 under an
> up-to-date -current/i386.  I got the binary packages from
> ftp.eecs.umich.edu, which mirrors them from ftp.xfree86.org.

I run a similar system and had the same problem. It turns out that
xterms apparently turn off the "echoe" and "echoke" stty settings.
I had to add "stty echoe echoke" to my .bash_login, and then make
sure that all my xterms start as login shells.

Aside: it has always been a peeve of me that they don't start as
login shells by default. Fortunately I can add to my .Xresources:

xterm*LoginShell:               on

and there also is

xterm*ttymodes:

but the manuals aren't installed for xterm so I'm not sure how I can
use that.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl         What's the use of
\X/  racism if you can't even see if a person belongs to your abhorred kind?