Subject: Re: poor man's demand-dial
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1995 08:47:53
On Tue, 21 Mar 1995, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> Are you sure it's not a hardware problem?  Maybe an incorrect/incomplete
> cable?  Maybe your modem isn't set up correctly to hang up when it
> receives a DTR transition?

I run a -current pppd, and I'm not having problems hanging up to
terminate the connection.  However...

Background:  I use init to start up pppd on the NetBSD (answering) end and
proxyarp.  This normally causes no problems whatsoever.  I mark the line
in /etc/ttys 'on' in the evening after I leave work, and 'off' in the
morning.  The problem comes when I am using the link and init apparently
sends a SIGHUP to kill pppd, resulting in an incomplete arp table entry
that in reality should have been deleted.

I've worked around this problem by using another system's SLIP connection
and doing an arp -d, but it's certainly very annoying.  I've almost
gotten enough of a handle on it to send-pr...

--scott