Subject: Re: Interfacing dial-on-demand to the kernel
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1995 14:06:45
>> How would you interface a dial-on-demand daemon to the kernel?
>> I'll need such a daemon to manage ISDN connections, but I think a global
>> approach which covers PPP and CSLIP connections as well would be
>> the way to go.
>> [...]
>
> I one time I saw this implemented (it was under SunOS, I believe), they did
> the following:

You folks are talking about something that already exists.  It's called "DP",
I've used it 24x7 for eons, and you can find out all about it via

	ftp://phoenix.ACN.Purdue.EDU/pub/dp/*

Once upon a time there was 386BSD code inside it, but given that it uses
STREAMS I doubt that it would be easy to convert to NetBSD without a fight (-:

	- Greg