Subject: Re: The HylaFAX "Where do binaries go?" meta-issue
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1995 06:50:21
> A diatribe on what does belong on the root filesystem is a topic for
> another discussion.

But where should we hold it? :-)  I recently was trying to run SunOS
4.1.3_u1 diskless with a read-only root (the point being to share the
root among all the disklesses), and it ain't pretty.  (Creative
symlinking out of /etc helps a lot, but still leaves at least rpc.statd
and ldconfig, and probably umount...and figuring out how to mount
/var.)

NetBSD is a lot better; I ran NetBSD/sparc diskless with a read-only
root briefly, without much trouble.

> Then SunOS came out and reorganized the filesystem hierarchy (replete
> with /var) and reorganized cron such that /usr/lib/crontab went away
> and was replaced with /var/spool/cron/crontabs/$USER.

I was under the impression this was some preexisting layout, probably
taken from SysV.  In any case, my major gripe with Sun's setup is that
if $EDITOR exits with a nonzero exit code, crontab -e throws away the
edited copy - but doesn't say so.  I thus took to replacing
/var/spool/cron/crontabs/mouse by hand (and restarting cron if I cared
about quick response to the changes), which was less than ideal.  My
$EDITOR was exiting with a random status code and I never noticed,
until finally NetBSD's crontab(1) was nice enough to tell me so.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu