Subject: Re: Wher do binary packages go.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1995 18:52:46
Verily did Kevin Sullivan write:
> Jesus M. Gonzalez ( wrote:
> : 4. This can be completed with some automatization tools. Currently, we are
>       experimenting with pkg_tools and amd to help in this direction.
> I do this with "depot" from CMU; it makes/removes/maintains the links
> automatically.  Very nice.  The latest version is on
> I actually use almost the same method you do, except that since many of
> my machines are connected by 14.4K lines NFS mounting is not very
> practical.  Instead I use sup to update machines from a central server.
I've never used depot, but listening to conversations about it didn't
sound too healthy.

Steve Davis (fellow K-Stater) has written a perl script called "installit"
which performs many similiar tasks as depot without using databases.

If you're interested in using installit instead of depot, check out (his home page).

If you like it, drop him a line (be short and mellow).  :>

-- Rob
Internet:      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'