Subject: The HylaFAX "Where do binaries go?" meta-issue
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1995 20:37:45
Has anyone thought to bundle up this discussion (before it goes off into
meta-issue land) and forward it to Sam Leffler?  Presumably he had *some*
reason for putting the stuff there in the first place, and on multiple
platforms to boot.  My own observation was that it appeared that he was
trying to keep most everything under one roof that was related, much as
one might do with a package (e.g., I keep all my MH stuff under /usr/local/mh).
But since so much of the stuff had to do with spooling, I guess he decided
that's where the main part of the package should go.  Admittedly I haven't
asked him, and this may be an uninformed opinion on my part.  Caveat actor.

Anyway, I think someone should at least *ask* him what was going though his
mind.  I *have* seen some spool-related executables in "/var" in other
contexts before; usually something intimately tied to a particular type of
printer support that usually ends up living under /var/spool/<printername>.
Although I will say those have usually been shell scripts rather than binaries.

	- Greg