Subject: Re: Netscape for x86.
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1995 10:35:43

> > I'm getting really tired of the implicit assumption that
> > NetBSD runs only on x86 machines.  Please take this discussion
> > somewhere where that assumption *is* valid.
>
> I suppose I owe an extra-large apology on this front; the chief reason that
> I went with NetBSD for my 486 instead of FreeBSD (which might not have "split"
> off from 386BSD yet) was an internal bias that a conscious effort to remove
> 386 dependancies from where they didn't belong was a likely indicator of a
> better-quality result...

And that decision was the reason that this list has to keep in mind that
we've got just about everything under the moon supported.

By splitting out the processor specific stuff, the system is easier to
port to new processors.  On the other hand, NetBSD did start out as a
(generally speaking) Intel x86 thing.

I have the same problem here.  The FAQ started out life as an x86 only
document.  I try to support multiple platforms, but my natural bias is
to look for the x86 stuff.  After all, that's what I use.