Subject: Re: Netscape and such
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1995 01:15:45
/ Christopher William Klaus writes:
/ >> Everyone, start mailing netscape, explaining how stupid* they are to not
/ >> support NetBSD and Linux.  If we do this enough, they may give us the
/ >> port.  (I'd assume; they can't be *that* stupid, can they?  And an
/ >> X app that runs on several systems, including SunOS, is going to be an
/ >> easy port.)
/ >>
/ >
/ > The BSDi version works fine on my NetBSD 1.0
/
/ And the SunOS 4.1.3_U1 version works fine on my NetBSD/SPARC 1.0 system.
/ Viva la COMPAT_SUNOS ...
/
/ Qual es su problema?

I don't fully understand the voodoo that happenned to make Linux Doom
run on the latest NetBSD kernel but can't the same be true for Netscape?
The Netscape I have on my Linux is a static binary so it's not like it
needs the libraries or anything else.

While I'm on the subject...  in a nutshell, exactly how did the COMPAT_
LINUX (or whatever option) come to be?  What kind of a hack was it?
Just getting the kernel to understand a foreign libs and the binaries
headers (a.out.h)?

I have Linux`95, NetBSD-1.0 (11/??/94 yeah I'm behind), FreeBSD and DOS
all over my hard drives.  Maybe I'll see about getting NT.  Yeah right,
and maybe I'm a chinese jet pilot.

Be nice to have everything mounted under the Unix systems and be able
to run anything from the other.

--
Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg
SAIC UNIX/Netware Computer Type Guy     TwoTone on computers...