Subject: Re: sound driver
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1995 07:12:16

>    It still fails.  It also plays a bit fast (HAL the computer sounds
>    like one of the Chipmunks).  It only gives the out of paper message
>    the first time, though.
>
> That's what I'd expect if the sound card is configured for IRQ 7, and
> you have the interrupt enabled on the parallel port.  (Actually, I'd
> expect `offline', but different parallel ports have different states
> when there's nothing connected.)

I am seeing this same behavior with my SBPRO. I *know* that the SB is
being configured for irq10, (boot message) and the parallel port is
at irq7.  I have not said much about this as I am way too busy to look
into the problem.  My behavior is slightly different. cat'ing *.au >
/dev/audio hangs. Sending something to the printer on /dev/lpa0 will
cause it to flush bits of high speed sound to the audio.

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   42,   0 Mar  8 15:17 /dev/sound
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   42,  16 Mar  7 06:25 /dev/mixer
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   42, 128 Mar  8 15:27 /dev/audio

Disclaimer - This is just a conformation; not an official bug report.