Subject: Re: HylaFAX woes
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1995 11:39:13
>Speaking of FAX programs and gettys... Have anyone compared the merits
>of the different FAX programs out there?  I use mgetty+sendfax as it
>was really easy to set it up under NetBSD.  However I haven't tried
>the voice capabilities at all.  I have a ZyXEL modem and would indeed
>love to have a dial-in/out, fax-in/out & voice mail system without
>requiring any manual intervention.  Does any program lend itself to
>such a all-in-one functionality easily?  Under NetBSD of course (even
>though I might have to install it on Linux boxes at work).

I hear the fax part of mgetty+sendfax isn't so wonderful, although I have had
no direct experience with it myself.

I'm a big HylaFAX bigot - it has a very nice queueing system that can handle
multiple modems, client programs that allow job submission from other hosts,
a rule-based conversion database that makes it easy to add various formats
that the fax system knows about, and the latest version includes some support
for alphanumeric pagers that talk the IXO/TAP protocols (it's not that great
right now, but I'm working on it).  The latest version also includes Caller-ID
support (if your modem supports it, like the ZyXEL) and support to run external
programs to handle voice calls, but as far as I know no one has actually made
this do something useful yet.

I think right now HylaFAX does dial-in/out, fax-in/out pretty well, but no
voice.  You'll have to decide if it's right for you.  John Kohl has made a
package out of HylaFAX, so it's a no-brainer to install.

--Ken