Subject: Re: XFree86-3.1.1
To: thecure <mda@lame.mame.mu.oz.au>
From: Tsuyoshi TADA <tsuyo@aat.ihitsy.ihi.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/1995 18:44:10
On Sat, 04 Mar, thecure <mda@lame.mame.mu.oz.au> writes:

 > > On Fri, 03 Mar, bdc@ai.mit.edu (Brian D. Carlstrom) writes:
 > >
 > >  > I just upgraded to a -current kernel from a jan 16 -current kernel
 > >  > and X doesnt work. it says it can't mmap /dev/vga. i tried upgrading
 > >  > from Xf86 version 2.x to 3.1.1.
 > >  >
 > >  > any ideas?
 > >
 > > It seems that you have to use NetBSD aperture driver.  If you want to
 > > build XFree-3.1.1 from source distribution, make sure the following
 > > definition in your site.def or NetBSD.cf directly:
 > >
 > > 	#define HasNetBSDApertureDriver YES
 >
 > >From the README.Netbsd
 >
 > --
 > There are two ways to allow XFree86 to access linear memory:
 >
 > 1. Disable the kernel security feature by initializing the
 > ``securelevel'' variable to -1 in /sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c, line
 > 205 and building a new kernel. For more informations, see the
 > comments in /usr/include/sys/systm.h.
 >
 > 2. Install the NetBSD aperture driver:
 >
 > a. add the following lines to the end of /etc/rc.local:
 >
 > KERNDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/kernel
 > if [ -f ${KERNDIR}/ap.o ]; then
 > modload -o ${KERNDIR}/ap -e ap -p ${KERNDIR}/apinstall ${KERNDIR}/ap.o
 > fi
 > --
 >
 > I defined HasNetBSDApertureDriver YES, and thought everything was cool. But.
 >
 > I never saw the aperture driver built. Is it part of X11R6? I can't find it.

Yes, it is a part of X11R6 (or XFree86?).  It is distributed as a shar
file, i.e.,

	xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/apNetBSD.shar

if you have a full X11R6 and XFree-3.1.1 source tree.
--
Tsuyoshi TADA                        E-Mail: tsuyo@aat.ihitsy.ihi.co.jp
Advanced Analysis Technology Gr.             tsuyo@mech.hokudai.ac.jp