Subject: Re: config options
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/1995 02:50:07
In article <Pine.NEB.3.91.950304172315.400C-100000@aqua.pc.tgi.plexus.com> scottr@Plexus.COM (Scott Reynolds) writes:

>This brings up an interesting question.  Since SunOS 5.x (more "properly"
>known as Solaris 2.x) is SVR4 based, what are our chances of
>compatibility?  Would it take yet another COMPAT_ option to run Solaris
>2.4 binaries under NetBSD?  (or perhaps they still use the ISC base to
>work from, I have no idea.)
>
>This would certainly give people with no alternatives but to run
>Solaris/x86 applications a way to get out from under the Solaris death
>grip. :-)

Have you tried COMPAT_SVR4? It runs many svr4 binaries... It currently
works only on x86 [tested with dell svr4 and solaris 2.4], but I think
it will need only a 100 lines of code to run on solaris 2.4/sparc.
*Fortunately* I am not running solaris-2.4/sparc on any of my systems,
so I don't have access to binaries so I can test that.

christos