Subject: Re: config options
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1995 14:57:18
>>> Can I run SUNOS binaries on my i386 machine?  HPUX?  I also see
>>> that there is compat/linux support.
>> Hmm...SunOS m68k (or sparc) binaries on an i386....umm, nope.  :-)
>> HP-UX, nope.

(As someone else already said, the compatability options are not
full-fledged emulators, but rather just parsers for a.out file formats
and handle the vendor OS's syscalls and such.)

> Assuming this is a bit order restriction, and further assuming that
> the COMPAT_SUNOS option would even compile on i386, could it be a
> simple matter of converting the bit order?

That said, one could argue that COMPAT_SUNOS on a '386 should pretend
to be a roadrunner...SunOS _does_ (or at least did :) exist for the
386, so there's theoretically no reason why NetBSD couldn't be
COMPAT_ible with it.

Not that I'm about to implement it.  Given how dead the roadrunner is,
I doubt that implementing COMPAT_SUNOS for the 386 is really worth the
effort.  But it's not automatically out of the question, in the way,
say, COMPAT_HPUX on the VAX, or COMPAT_IBSC on the SPARC, is.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu