Subject: Re: config options
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1995 17:29:04
On Sat, 4 Mar 1995, der Mouse wrote:

> That said, one could argue that COMPAT_SUNOS on a '386 should pretend
> to be a roadrunner...SunOS _does_ (or at least did :) exist for the
> 386, so there's theoretically no reason why NetBSD couldn't be
> COMPAT_ible with it.

This brings up an interesting question.  Since SunOS 5.x (more "properly"
known as Solaris 2.x) is SVR4 based, what are our chances of
compatibility?  Would it take yet another COMPAT_ option to run Solaris
2.4 binaries under NetBSD?  (or perhaps they still use the ISC base to
work from, I have no idea.)

This would certainly give people with no alternatives but to run
Solaris/x86 applications a way to get out from under the Solaris death
grip. :-)

Just curious...

--scott