Subject: Re: COMPAT_SUNOS and the i386
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1995 15:00:13
On Sat, 4 Mar 95 16:34:52 EST
 Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net> wrote:

 > I keep thinking that COMPAT_XXX should actually turn on *disklabel* support
 > for disklabels of type XXX, on any port.  This currently doesn't even work on
 > same-endian machines using the NetBSD disklabel, because the label might be in
 > a different location on the disk.  I keep writing code to deal with this and
 > then throwing it away because I have a feeling it should be a general
 > solution, not just a quick hack to let me mount my Ultrix disks on my -current
 > 486 box.

Now *this* would be interesting...I actually have a use for formatting a
disk on a sparc under SunOS, using it under SunOS and NetBSD, and
transporting it from time to time to my hp380.  I don't think, however,
that `COMPAT_SUNOS' would be appropriate in this case.  Maybe
`COMPAT_SUNLABEL' (along the lines of `COMPAT_NOLABEL' for those of us
who needed that back-when...)

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939