Subject: Re: rdist vs. sup
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1995 03:41:15
>> On my pair of Hayes 28.8 optima, ping times are ~30ms slower with
>> v.42 disabled.  With v.42 on, I get ~170ms ping times over a cslip
>> link @ ~26400.
>
>Hm.  I get 170ms with non-compressed slip over a 14.4k modem with no
>error correction.  Given that your modem is faster, it's surprising
>that you're seeing 200ms with cslip and no compression.   I'm given to
>suspect that there's some other factor that isn't being taken into
>account.

Especially since minimum theoretical time should be on the order of 88ms
for uncompressed data (64 bytes for ping / 1.4kB/sec slip line * 2).

On the 28.8 V.FC modems I am using now (which say they're only doing 26.4)
the smallest ping time I get is 115 ms.  It tends to hover around 120-140ms.
This is with v.42bis turned on, and MNP 10.  Oh, I have my DTE speed set at
57600.

--Ken