Subject: Re: rdist vs. sup
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1995 15:22:14
> > I'd like it if TCP could catch these...
> It can't.   Get over it!   Seriously, though, on an ethernet you don't
> see this kind of corruption to an extent that matters,

Uh-oh, it's story time again.

About a year ago, I got a complaint from field service about an in-house
machine where NFS was going crazy, corrupting files all over the place.
To make a long and agonizing story short, a broken ethernet controller
was corrupting inbound packets (and managing to regenerate good parity
before putting the corrupted packets on a parity-checked I/O bus!) at
such an alarming rate that packets were slipping through the UDP checksum
with regularity (of course, lots and LOTS more were being discarded, and
as you would imagine, NFS was running quite slowly).