Subject: Re: Odd 'make build' behavior
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Brian de Alwis <bdealwis@Newbridge.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/1995 10:02:55
> I have 28MB free on /usr, and 108MB free on /usr/src.  I guess I can
> rename /usr/src/obj easily enough, so I will, but I wonder if there is
> any way to keep make from descending into /usr/src/obj by default.

(You beat me to a send-pr)

Berkeley make will, if it finds a directory $MAKEOBJDIR (defaulting to
`obj'), change to that directory and then continue with the build. Setting
MAKEOBJDIR to a non-existent directory will prevent it. This behaviour
is undocumented, and can't be determined from debugging output (I had to
look at the source).

This seems to be very NetBSD-source-tree-specific, which is pretty lousy
for such a general tool like make.

--
Brian de Alwis - CS student at U of Waterloo, Co-op at Newbridge Networks Corp
-- bdealwis@newbridge.com, bsdealwis@uwaterloo.ca, bdealwis@sunsite.unc.edu --