Subject: Re: scsi tapes
To: Callum Gibson <callum@frost.bain.oz.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1995 04:15:09
> I thought for most devices like this, including scsi, you were supposed to
> power down the whole machine before plugging/unplugging things. Certainly,
> that's the advice we got regarding our suns in case of you blowing the
> fuse on the scsi bus (not that I've ever seen this happen - I think I've
> heard of it, though).  (Hot-swap is obviously built for that.)

Just a bit on the odds: i've blown exactly one SCSI fuse in my life
(*smirk* and it was on a sun) and i plug in/unplug SCSI devices from
live hardware not meant for "hot swapping" about 2x a day, on average.
I.e. you _can_ blow SCSI fuses, but i've had it happen exactly _once_
(and i did something bad then, anyway...  8-).

And then, there's hardware (e.g. DEC StorageWorks modules, of which i
happen to have one on my desk 8-) which facilitates and is built for it...

chris