Subject: new version of gcc for NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1995 22:34:48
Are there any plans to upgrade the GCC that comes with NetBSD to a newer
version?  I ask this not for the regular C language, but for the C++ compiler -
it's greatly improved since 2.4.5.  I can think of a couple of packages
(Fresco and HylaFAX, to name two) that require newer versions of g++ than
2.4.5.  I know, it's a lot of work to integrate it into the NetBSD source
tree, so I can understand why it wouldn't be done (heck, I don't even know if
you can compile all of NetBSD with gcc 2.6.3).  But I was just curious.

Oh, while I'm on the subject of gcc ... should I just be able to use gcc
2.6.3 to compile other programs (with shared libraries)?.  Are there any local
hacks that need to be in place before I can use a stock 2.6.3?

--Ken