Subject: Re: slip hangs
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1995 19:42:35
>Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 12:39:24 PST
>From: phil@cs.wwu.edu (Phil Nelson)

>    -	When the slip link quits working (pinging the other end of
>	the slip link looses all the packets) slattach can not be
>	killed.  It never quits even thought the E flag is on in ps(1).

>Has anyone had this happen?  Any clues as to what is wrong?

Usually when the serial port locks up this way is is because it is set
up to use XON/XOFF flow control, and something on the other end sent a
^S character.  The quickest way to fix it is to add the 'rtscts' flag
to the line representing your serial port in /etc/ttys, e.g.

tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off local rtscts

Bring down the link, run /sbin/ttyflags (or reboot) and try again.
Once the port is wedged like this you have to reboot to fix it.

I use PPP, which is more intelligent about such things (plug).
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>       PGP 2.6.2 public key signature:
VLSI Design Engineer                  CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B