Subject: SB/16 on i386?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rafal Boni <r-boni@uiuc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/1995 18:42:05
A while ago, I "stole" an old SoundBlaster/16 from work to play with.  The
drivers in NetBSD had some problems, but the card seemed to work at least in
some specific subset of cases.  This card, being old, was jumper-configurable
for IRQ, DRQ and such...

This weekend, I finally succumbed to the need to wake up my apartment-mates
with the sounds of shotgun shells blowing away demons [yes, I gave in to the
Doom calling].  So I bought a SB/16 card at BestBuy.

The new SB card is software-configurable, and has no jumpers for IRQ or DMA
settings.

My problem is that NetBSD's sb driver *does not* get interrupts from the card
at *all*.  I used the 0x220/IRQ 5/DMA ch. 1/16bit DMA chan. 5 setting, which
seems to be the default for these cards.  Works great under MessyDog, but as
soon as I boot BSD, the card seems to "forget" its' config.

SOmeone with one of these cards wanna clue me in on how to get it to work in
any way at all?  Currently, the driver outputs the 1st block of sound, and is
then put to sleep waiting for DMA completion.  It never wakes up, and as a
printf in the sbintr function tells me, the driver never gets an interrupt.

					All ideas appreciated,
							--rafal

| In search of the stress-strain relationship governing  |/|       Rafal Boni |
| students of mechanics... Experimentally.               |\|  r-boni@uiuc.edu |