Subject: Re: Archie-Clients
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@imsi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1995 21:06:00
tholo@toad.com says:
> > PLUG: Use FSP, use FSP, use FSP (not FTP) FSP is a reduced
> > overhead protocol that doesn't fork a server for each client, uses
> > UDP packets, can be installed on any port (and >1024 in case
> > you're not root), can have server-level passwording (not
> > user-password, just password).
>
> Also, FSP will _not_ back off if a router sends an ICMP source
> quence message, thus aggrevating the problem with overloaded
> links...

FSP is a piece of shit.

If someone wants to avoid having their server fork, you can build
servers that don't need to fork just as easily for TCP as for UDP.

If you want to run ftpd on a port other than the normal one, you can.

UDP is bad news for transmitting data in WANs; it doesn't do any of
the good congestion control or other things that TCP does.

So far as I can tell, FSP exists purely so that people transfering
porno gifs can avoid firewall routers.

Perry