Subject: Terminal servers...
To: None <seebs@intran.xerox.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1995 19:31:24
> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 14:08:48 PST
> From: seebs@intran.xerox.com (Peter Seebach)

> There's a breed of "Annex" terminal servers that attempt to boot by tftp'ing
> some file from a nearby host.  Does anyone know if NetBSD can support one
> of these, by running a tftpd, and if so, if we need anything special in those
> files, or where to get them?

We had a couple of those.  They use BOOTP to ask their IP address and
what boot file to download, then use TFTP to download the file.
(Pretty typical stand-alone boot protocol, actually.)

Yes, netbsd has everything you need to serve such clients except for
the actual program that in your case would come with the Annex box.

Here are the /etc/bootptab entries for a (similar) Emulex box:
(We don't appear to have the old annex boxes anymore.)

.default:\
	:hn:dn="mc.com":\
	:td=/tftpboot:\
	:ds=merlin, jericho:\
	:to=auto:

.subnet16:\
	:tc=.default:\
	:sm=255.255.255.0:\
	:gw=merlin:\
	:sa=merlin:

# Emulex terminal server
emulex:	tc=.subnet16:ha=00.00.C9.00.42.E0:bf=P4KTL0E: