Subject: Re: Archie-Clients
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1995 11:47:42
While really really bored, John F. Woods wrote:
> What's wrong, I'll bet, is that the archie idea doesn't scale anywhere
> near as well as they thought it would.  Try a less overloaded host...

Or, more likely, all the media hype has enticed thousands more people
to get on the 'net, leech valuable resources, waste valuable bandwidth on
only marginally useful applications like mosaic, while providers choose to
provide temporary slip services and dynamically allocated IP numbers so
that nobody can offer any TCP/IP services worth a darn.

MS-DOS and MS-Win clients tend to do expensive things like automatically get
huge directory listings, and since archie never works we all end up just
browsing through the server anyway.  Ick.
/end flame

But I suppose everyone here has been around for a few years and can remember
when you could actually get on uunet or wuarchive. :)

PLUG: Use FSP, use FSP, use FSP (not FTP)
FSP is a reduced overhead protocol that doesn't fork a server for each client,
uses UDP packets, can be installed on any port (and >1024 in case you're not
root), can have server-level passwording (not user-password, just password).
--
VaX#n8 (vak-sa-nate) - n, CS senior++ and Unix junkie - vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Shouldn't you be setting up FSP right now?            - PGP key on request