Subject: Re: Archie-Clients
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jarle Fredrik Greipsland <Jarle.F.Greipsland@idt.unit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1995 18:39:43
John F Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com> writes:
> What's wrong, I'll bet, is that the archie idea doesn't scale anywhere
> near as well as they thought it would.  Try a less overloaded host...

<PLUG>
Why don't you try the experimental archie server at 'archie.unit.no'?  It's
using a VLSI search engine on a PC board with the database in onboard
memory to do the actual search.  Downside is that it doesn't yet fully
support all types of regexps, but case-insensitive substrings and some more
work ok.

% time archie -h archie.unit.no -l -m 999 -s 4.4bsd-lite > /tmp/lst
1.432u 0.115s 0:06.42 23.9% 0+0k 14+13io 0pf+0w
% wc -l < /tmp/lst
     384
%

(And it's running NetBSD, so it stays in the family so to speak :-)
</PLUG>

					-jarle
----
"Filenames are only for people who can't remember where they put their
 files."
				-- Tarjei T. Jensen