Subject: Re: IDE CD-ROM available?
To: Yeng-Chee Su <yenchee@zeus.csie.nctu.edu.tw>
From: Ian Fitchet <I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1995 08:39:36
 On Sun, 22 Jan 1995 23:50:35 +0800 (CST), Yeng-Chee Su <yenchee@zeus.csie.nctu.edu.tw> said:

  I just bought a Mitsumi FX-001DE which is an IDE CDROM.  Is there any
>IDE CDROM driver for NetBSD 1.0/current?

 No.  I have been looking at Linux's ide (and ide-cd) drivers.  Thanks
to Scott Snyder (the Linus code author) I have the ATAPI draft spec.
The problem is that modern non-SCSI CDs tend to be vaguely ATAPI (ATA
Peripheral Interface) compliant.  ATAPI is ATA (ie IDE) with a `packet
command' interface to do things over and above standard ATA.

 It doesn't look outrageously difficult so I'm prepared to have a go.
The only problems I do have are a little more subtely related to how
you interface to the kernel (eg what do you edit to change the
kernel's idea of major/minor device numbers, just what is spl()
anyway, etc etc.) Hopefully, the forthcoming White Paper ( :-) ) on
writing device drivers will clear these things up for me.

Cheers,

	Ian