Subject: Re: prob with ether setupo
To: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
From: Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/1995 13:06:51
> and my NetBSD machine.  I'm going to back up my disks before installing it
> in the NetBSD machine as I have an AHA-1542B and I have read things in the
> Linux ether hardware FAQ about SMC's having problems with 15XX's.  As a
> matter of fact, some people were experiencing DATA CORRUPTION under
> interactive Unix and old MS-Win-NT drivers.  Oops :)

For what its worth, I did have data corruption problems when
I was using 16Meg memory, SMC Elite (but not ultra) & AHA-
1542B.  It disappeared when I reduced memroy to 12Meg.  I
swapped memory around and ran extensive memory tests and
think the memory is fine.  My guess is the problem is
related to L2 cache of my noname OPTi MB + AHA + may be the
SMC Elite.  I didn't pursue it after that but if someone
knows why and how to fix it, I'd sure like to know and get
my 4Meg of memory back.

>      The Linux FAQ says the AMD chipset is actually one of the fastest, but
>      I see no support for cards with that chipset in the lists of supported
>      hardware (some of which conflict, I might add... the FAQ isn't the same

I believe NE2100 (which uses the AMD LANCE) is supported in
NetBSD/i386 via the if_le driver.