Subject: Re: XFree86
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
From: John Evans <john@hillnet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/1995 17:31:44
On Wed, 18 Jan 1995, Rob Windsor wrote:

> First thing, it doesn't like something in your fontpaths.  Trial-and-error
> removal to find out if there's one specific one that is killing you.

I fixed that, it didn't appear to have anything to do with the screen
problems.

> Check your kernel to see if you have the following options set:
>
> options       XSERVER, UCONSOLE
> options       LKM
> options       SYSVMSG, SYSVSEM, SYSVSHM
>
> These are "nice to have" for X, if not required.  And yes, these first three
> options (XSERVER, UCONSOLE, LKM) -do not- show up in
> /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/ALL in 1.0.  I've grumbled extensively and passed
> out my ALL.REAL (with these options included) to newbies trying to get X
> running.

Indeed the only options of the ones you listed that I had in my kernel
were "XSERVER" and "UCONSOLE", so I added the others, did a recompile
and it didn't help.  Thanks for the info though.  Would you mind filling
me in on what LKM, and the SYSV things do precisely?

> Anyway, hopefully this will start you in the right direction.

Well, hopefully I'm getting there one step at a time...

-
John