Subject: Re: XFree86
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/1995 02:30:12
Verily did John Evans write:

>>    I just got a Diamond Stealth card, so I finally got around to installing
>>    X... after finally making sure all the dot clock values, monitor sync
>>    rates, etc, etc, etc, etc. were right, we eliminated all of the error
>>    messages, but now when I do a startx, (or xinit, or X :0, or anything)
>>    it says goes through your standard stuff as it tries to load then
>>    gives me an "X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server
>>    shutdown)"

>>    I'm using NetBSD 1.0 w/ XFree86 3.1... I have 16 megs of RAM and it's on
>>    a 486/66....

>>    Anyone have either any specific ideas or know where I can turn for
>>    general help?

>> Did you try redirecting stdout and stderr to a file, and see if the
>> server generated any more messages?

> Actually, right after I sent the message, I did that, and though it
> didn't help much, a number of other things we tried finally got the
[...]

> Here's the actual output (after having redirected both stdout and stderr
> to a file):

[some removed...]
> Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
>          Entry deleted from font path.
> Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/" does not exist.
>          Entry deleted from font path.
> Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/" does not exist.
>          Entry deleted from font path.
> (**) FontPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
>/75dpi/"

[more removed...]
> checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/mem (Operation not permitted)
> 	trying aperture driver
> checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/xf86 (No such file or directory)
> 	linear fb access unavailable
> (--) S3: Using a banksize of 64k, line width of 1024
> (--) S3: Using a single 64x64 area for expanding pixmaps
> (--) S3: Using 8 planes of 960x423 at (0,601) aligned 8 as font cache
> MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
> PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_Msh: warning: ru
>nning as root with dot in PATH
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.
>
> waiting for X server to shut down

This reminds me of the 1.0 alpha in May '94 with XF86-2.1

First thing, it doesn't like something in your fontpaths.  Trial-and-error
removal to find out if there's one specific one that is killing you.

Second thing, I had mem problems back in May, and the fix was to su;
sleep 60 < /dev/mem; ^d back to your user, and then "startx".  Your
"checkDevMem" reminded me of that, but I'm not sure if this is the
same cause of your problems.

Check your kernel to see if you have the following options set:

options       XSERVER, UCONSOLE
options       LKM
options       SYSVMSG, SYSVSEM, SYSVSHM

These are "nice to have" for X, if not required.  And yes, these first three
options (XSERVER, UCONSOLE, LKM) -do not- show up in
/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/ALL in 1.0.  I've grumbled extensively and passed
out my ALL.REAL (with these options included) to newbies trying to get X
running.

Anyway, hopefully this will start you in the right direction.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'