Subject: Re: users using plaintext passwords, BEWARE...
To: Kenneth Stailey <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/1995 08:58:24
Kenneth Stailey <> writes:

> Will we ever get rid of libcrypt.a?

If you mean libcrypt.{a,so}, I should hope not!

There are functions in libcrypt which will never be exportable (with the
current crypto == munitions rules). However, these functions have been
implemented by other people outside the USA and made available for use
for us.

I, for one, like the fact that I can replace 3 files: bin/ed, sbin/init,
and lib/ (or whatever) and get a fully working DES (or
whatever you like for that matter) auth/encrypt suite, with minimal risk
of getting compatibility problems.

(This is exactly how I built the secr10.aa file for netbsd 1.0. I just
built ed, init, and libcrypt from the FreeSec sources, tarred it up in
the correct places, and put it on This way, australian
netbsd-i386 users can get out-of-the-box crypt. Of course, if I had access
to other netbsd arch's I would have done it for those as well :)

Luke Mewburn, <>
`Think of it as Evolution in Action.' - "Oath of Fealty", Niven & Pournelle