Subject: Re: Packages for NetBSD (Was: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups)
To: Phil Nelson , David Brownlee <>
From: Andrew Cagney <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1995 13:40:20
Excerpts from mail: 8-Jan-95 Re: Packages for NetBSD (Wa.. David (4103*)

> 	The last thing I want to do is waste the core team's time on non-OS
> 	code, but I think its worth splitting the 'extras' into three
> 	categories.

Try looking at this problem differently.  Instead of bundling all these
extras in with the UN*X OS where they don't belong, simply allow the
user, as part of the OS install process, to add packages.

Thus an install is broken into:

	1.	Establish OS on primary disk (FS, swap

	2.	Install UN*X distribution

	3.	Optionally install any additional packages
		(X11, AUIS, your favorite shell, perl)

FTP sites would Value Add the packages that they bundle with a standard
distribution (Linux distributions do this now).

You, for instance, would be a customer of a site that bundled the
`shells' (bash/tcsh) `perl' and X packages with their value added